For the first time in your life, you are responsible for another human being. Feeding, changing, comforting – everything! Unfortunately, if you do not take care of yourself – you will end up rundown, depressed, sick and very tired! The healthier and happier you are as a new mom, the happier your baby will be!
Most people think you need time to stay healthy – I do not believe that. I think that being healthy is a choice, and with quick tips and a positive attitude, you can maintain your health, even as a new mom.
Self-care is important to keep ourselves going.
The most important thing I would say is – DO NOT depend on caffeine and sugar to keep you going, it will deplete you in the long run! Instead focus on these five easy tips.
5 Tips to Keep a New Mom Healthy
- Hydration. (so important if nursing!). Drink, drink and drink some more! Water is key for energy, hydration and if you are nursing, it will keep your milk supply up!
- Take your prenatal vitamin – You need all the extra nutrients you can get!
- Supplement with extra vitamin D, probiotics and fish oil! These specific nutrients are so important for you and the baby. Vitamin D will keep your immune system strong, fish oil keeps your brain alert and your mood high, and probiotics will keep your digestion running smoothly.
- Get some movement daily. Even if it means putting on some music and dancing around with your baby!
- If you are craving chocolate, which most moms do (there is a scientific reason for this!) – try to have some healthy dark chocolate around, or make yourself a cup of hot cacao and almond milk with cinnamon!
If you are a new mom looking to get healthy – please join me for a new moms cleanse starting on March 19th! Full details at www.jodilarrynd.com